CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

Local

Downriver Lotto Winner On Food Stamps Waives Hearing

View Comments
Amanda Clayton appears in court. (WWJ Photo/Ron Dewey, File)

Amanda Clayton appears in court. (WWJ Photo/Ron Dewey, File)

rondewey Ron Dewey
WWJ Newsradio 950′s Ron Dewey has been on the street and on the air...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

LINCOLN PARK (WWJ) – A Downriver woman who won a million dollar lottery prize and still accepted food stamps waived her pre-trial hearing Tuesday morning in Lincoln Park District Court.

Amanda Clayton’s attorney John Dakmuk is not saying if a deal is in the works with the state attorney general to keep his client free, but he said restitution has not been ruled out.

“I can’t get into too much of the details of the case but we are looking forward to putting this case before the court and before the public. There’s a lot more to this case than’s been alleged at this point,” Dakmuk told reporters.

“We’re gonna work with all the parties involved and get the best resolution possible,” he said.

Dakmuk , 25, won a $1 million jackpot on the game show “Make Me Rich!” and chose a $735,000 lump sum, before taxes, last September.

She is charged with welfare fraud after prosecutors say she failing to inform the state that her income had changed as a result of the lottery prize and a job. The mother of two was removed from the state’s food assistance program after her story became widely publicized in March. She had been receiving about $200 a month in food aid.

Clayton did not speak with reporters following the hearing. She remains free on bond, but could still face jail time if the case goes to trial.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus