MDOT Lifts Many Work Zone Restrictions For Memorial Day Weekend
DETROIT (WWJ) - To help make travel easier, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is lifting traffic restrictions on 94 of 132 projects statewide during the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
Beginning at 3 p.m. on Friday, May 25, and continuing until 6 a.m. on Tuesday, May 29, MDOT is suspending road work wherever possible.
The following 38 work zones will remain active, or have lane restrictions, during the Memorial Day weekend. If necessary, detour routes will be posted at the project location.
Metro Detroit Region
City of Detroit
- M-85 (Fort Street) is down to one lane in each direction with a center-turn lane between St. Anne Street and West Grand Boulevard.
- I-96 has three lanes open in each direction between Kent Lake and Milford roads with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted. In addition, the following are closed: – The northbound and southbound Kent Lake Road ramps to westbound I-96; – The southbound Milford Road ramp to eastbound I-96; – The westbound I-96 ramp to southbound Milford Road; and – The southbound Kent Lake Road ramp to eastbound I-96.
- M-150 (Rochester Road) is closed in each direction between 2nd Street and University Drive. Detours are posted.
- US-24 Business Route (Cesar Chavez Drive) has all southbound lanes closed while one northbound lane is open between Montcalm and the Woodward Loop.
Macomb and St. Clair Counties
- I-94 has two lanes open in each direction between 23 Mile and County Line roads with a traffic shift.
- I-94/I-69 has two lanes open in each direction with all traffic shifted to the eastbound side of the roadway between Pine Grove Avenue and Lapeer Road. In addition: – Riverside Drive is closed under I-94/I-69 and detoured; – A temporary ramp to Water Street is open for westbound I-94/I-69 traffic; and – The Water Street ramp to westbound I-94/I-69 is closed.
- I-75 has the right lane closed in each direction between King and Sibley roads. In addition, the following are closed: – Dix-Toledo Road over I-75; – The northbound I-75 ramp to Dix-Toledo Road; – The southbound Dix-Toledo Road ramp to southbound I-75; and – The northbound Dix-Toledo Road ramp to northbound I-75.
- Westbound I-94 has three lanes open over I-275 with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted.
- The I-94/M-39 interchange has the following ramps closed: – The westbound I-94 ramp to northbound M-39; – The eastbound I-94 ramp to southbound M-39; – The eastbound I-94 ramp to Pelham Road; and – The southbound M-39 ramp to eastbound I-94.
- I-275 has two lanes open in each direction between Hannan Road and Michigan Avenue, and between Warren and Plymouth roads. In addition, the following are closed: – The westbound Ann Arbor Road ramp to northbound I-275; – The westbound US-12 ramp to southbound I-275; – The eastbound US-12 ramp to northbound I-275; – Tyler Road over I-275; – Joy Road over I-275; and – Plymouth Road over I-275.
- Old M-14 (Plymouth Road) has one lane open in each direction between Market Street and Farmington Road.
- M-85 (Fort Street) has two lanes open in each direction between Sibley and Goddard roads.
- US-24 (Telegraph Road) has a one lane open in each direction between Vreeland and West roads.
- M-14, Washtenaw County, has two lanes open in each direction between US-23 and the Wayne County line with a traffic shift.
- M-43 (Saginaw Street) in Lansing, Ingham County, has the bridge over the Grand River closed with traffic detoured.
- M-50 (McDevitt Avenue), Jackson County, will have the bridge over US-127 closed with a detour posted.
- M-50 (West Avenue) in Jackson, Jackson County, will be closed between Wildwood Avenue and Ganson Street with a detour posted.
- M-52 in Adrian, Lenawee County, has one lane open in each direction between US-223 and South Street.
- M-52 in Manchester, Washtenaw County, has southbound traffic maintained between Dutch Drive and Austin Road with northbound traffic detoured.
- US-23, Livingston County, has two lanes open in each direction north of M-36 near Silver Lake Road with a traffic shift.
- US-127, Ingham County, has the rest area near Holt Road closed for reconstruction.
- US-223 in Palmyra, Lenawee County, has one lane open over the River Raisin with a temporary signal.
Central Michigan and Thumb
- I-75 and US-23, Arenac County, has the southbound I-75 ramp to eastbound US-23 closed with traffic detoured to take Exit 190 to M-61, then M-13. Eastbound US-23 will have one lane open.
- I-475, Genesee County, will have traffic shifted with the left lanes closed in both directions.
- M-25, Huron County, has lanes closed over Harbor Beach Creek with traffic detoured to Port Hope Road, and then Filion Road back to M-25.
- M-142, Huron County, will have lanes closed over the Pigeon River with traffic detoured to Stein Road, Caseville Road and Weale Road.
- M-142, Huron County, has lanes closed over the Nettle Run with traffic detoured to Moore Road, Richardson Road and Pinnebog Road.
- M-43 (Broadway) in Hastings, Barry Country, will have one lane open in each direction.
- M-89 in Plainwell, Allegan County, will have westbound lanes closed from 12th Street to Sherwood Street with a posted detour. There will be no lane closures on US-131 and all ramps will be open.
- M-139, Berrien County, will have one lane of traffic maintained over the Dowagiac River with a traffic signal.
- M-20 (70th Avenue) just south of the village of Mecosta, Mecosta County, is closed over Schrader Creek between 9 Mile Road and Main Street. Truck traffic detour on 90th Avenue and 9 Mile Road. Commuter traffic detour on Main Street, North A Street, Hayes Road, 11 Mile Road and M-66.
- M-21 (Fulton Street) in Ada, Kent County, will have one lane open in each direction on the temporary bridge over the Grand River.
- US-131 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, has the northbound US-131 on and off ramps to Franklin Street closed. The southbound US-131 ramp to Franklin Street is open for westbound Franklin Street only.
- US-131 near Howard City, Montcalm County, will have a traffic shift from Cannonsville Road north to eastbound M-46 (Howard City Edmore Road). Southbound US-131 will be shifted to the northbound side with two southbound lanes open and one northbound lane open. Traffic will be separated by a concrete barrier. The southbound US-131 on and off ramps at M-82 will be closed, as well as the on ramp from M-46 to southbound US-131.
Northern Lower Peninsula
- US-10, Lake County, will have shoulder closures and one lane open in each direction between Lakola Road and Depot Street.
- US-23 in Oscoda, Iosco County, will have lane shifts, a 10-foot width restriction, and detours from the AuSable River bridge and F-41.
- US-2 in Iron River, Iron County, will have a temporary traffic signal at 9th Avenue.
- US-2/US-41 north of Gladstone, Delta County, will have one lane of traffic open in each direction on the bridges over the CN Railroad.
- US-41, Marquette County, will be reduced to three lanes between M-28 in Harvey and the Carp River in Marquette, with one lane open in each direction and a center left-turn lane.
For the latest from the roads, stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 during Traffic and Weather on the 8s, 24-hours a day. Check for recent traffic incidents now on the CBSDetroit Traffic Page.