By Mike Campbell

WATERFORD TWP. (WWJ) – Police in Waterford Township have been interviewing several people after Wednesday’s crash that left a police officer hospitalized and injured her K9 partner.

There have been reports that police had someone in custody, believed to be a motorcyclist who fled the scene. but a the police chief tells WWJ Newsradio 950 no arrests have been made.

Officer Annette Miller remains in critical condition.

Police say Miller, a 22-year veteran of the force, was on patrol around 3:30 p.m. when she observed a sport style motorcycle traveling westbound on Elizabeth Lake Road at a high rate of speed.

According to police, Miller was attempting to follow and identify the motorcycle when a blue Volkswagen turned in front of her. Miller swerved in an unsuccessful attempt to avoid a collision with the Volkswagen before leaving the roadway and striking a tree. Rescuers used the Jaws of Life to get Miller and the K9 out of the mangled SUV police vehicle.

Miller was transported to Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak where her condition has reportedly been upgraded to serious condition. Police say Miller underwent several surgeries and more are expected. They say she has extensive injuries to her arms, legs and chest.

The police dog suffered a minor injury in the crash was transported to a local veterinarian where one of his toes had to be removed. He is expected to make a full recovery.

The driver of the Volkswagen, a 20-year-old man from Waterford, was transported to a local hospital for precautionary reasons and was released.

The motorcycle is described as a black sport style bike being driven by a male wearing a white helmet with a gold or dark stripe and tan pants.

The identity of the person in custody was not immediately released.

Police are still looking for witnesses who may have seen the crash or the motorcycle. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Waterford Township Police Department at 248-674-0351 or call 248-618-6091 and ask for Detective Morgan.

Note: WWJ reported earlier Friday morning that there had been an arrest in this case. That turned out to be incorrect.

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE