SOUTHFIELD — The Engineering Society of Detroit has announced the winners of its 2012 Construction & Design Awards. This award recognizes the best construction projects in Michigan based on a strict set of criteria, including innovative design; social and economic significance; innovative engineering; and much more.
The winners are:
* Wayne State University Chemistry Building Addition and Renovation; owner, Wayne State University, designer, Harley Ellis Devereaux, and contractor, DeMaria Building Co.
* Delta Dental of Michigan Headquarters Expansion & Renovation; owner, Delta Dental of Michigan, designer, Albert Khan Associates Inc.; and contractor, Walbridge
* Accident Fund Holdings Inc. New National Headquarters, Ottawa Street Power Station Redevelopment; owner, Accident Fund Holdings Inc., designer, HOK, Quinn Evans Architects; and contractor, Christman Co.
* Oakland County International Airport General Aviation Terminal (Honorable Mention); owner, Oakland County; designer, Neumann/Smith Architecture; and contractor, Frank Rewold and Son Inc.
* Farmington Hills City Hall Revitalization Project (Honorable Mention); owner, city of Farmington Hills; designer, Strategic Energy Solutions Inc.; and contractor, Contracting Resources
In its 38th year, the ESD Construction and Design Awards are among the premier recognitions awarded to members of the construction industry and their projects.
These awards are unique in that they honor the three primary members of the building team: owners, designers and constructors — and recognize outstanding team achievement and innovative use of technology.
Submittals are judged on a strict set of criteria, including: Effective teaming between the owner, designer & constructor; safety; quality of overall design and construction; unique or innovative engineering solutions; sustainable design; sustainable design for the future; environmental consciousness; sensitive land use; as well as social and economic significance.
The winners will be recognized at The ESD Annual Awards Dinner slated for Wednesday, June 27 at The Fillmore in Detroit.