Riverwalk To Remain Open For Detroit Fireworks
DETROIT (WWJ) – Following some concern and debate surrounding a Detroit tradition, Mayor Dave Bing says the city’s Riverwalk will be open for people to watch the big fireworks show over the Detroit River.
There had been discussion about closing the Riverwalk due to safety concerns, but Bing said Detroit police will receive help from local sheriff departments as well as Michigan State Police.
“That’s where our major cost is, in paying the police officers because they have to work overtime,” said Bing. “And we can’t continue as a city, with the financial straits that we’re in, to finance it on an independent basis.
“So we’re asking the other counties, we’re asking other law enforcement officers to come down and help us. Because we don’t have enough police that are walking around doing what we need them to do,” Bing said.
Last year two teens were shot along the Riverwalk, when a gun one of them was carrying went off by accident.
This year’s Target Fireworks are set for June 25.