Harrison Twp. (WWJ)- It’s called the Blue Economy Initiative and Macomb County leaders are moving forward with plans to use the Clinton River and Lake St. Clair to help boost the local economy.
Speaking at MacRay Harbor, Executive Mark Hackel said his office has been engaged with administrators from other cities and townships that have the river running through it or the coastline of the lake abutting to their municipality.
“They’re already talking about some hotels, they’re talking about a fresh water institute, they’re talking about peers, they’re talking about beaches,” Hackel said adding there is also talk about campgrounds and parks.
Hackel wouldn’t say when construction of a building would start, but claimed it is in the works.
“Lake St. Clair and the Clinton River are tremendous assets, and we need to leverage them to create more tourism, recreation and economic development opportunities,” said Hackel.
The development plan looks at both existing and potential projects. It was developed on three core principles: environmental stewardship, economic development, and quality-of-life issues.
With each project or program, five major areas of concentration will be analyzed considering each project or program’s assets and deficiencies, short- and long-term goals, timeline and potential funding resources:
1. Increase accessibility to Lake St. Clair and the Clinton River
2. Continue to enhance and improve the environmental quality of Lake St. Clair and the Clinton River
3. Increase the number of entertainment and recreational development opportunities
4. Seek additional funding resources and opportunities
5. Develop and implement marketing, educational, and advocacy programs.
In an interview with WWJ Newsradio 950’s Roberta Jasina last Spring, Hackel said he would like to have a casino along Lake St. Clair.