Local

Detroit Schools Set Hearing On $784M Budget

View Comments
vickiethomas2 Vickie Thomas
Vickie Thomas is the City Beat Reporter for WWJ Newsradio 950. She was...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

DETROIT (WWJ/AP) - The public is getting a chance to comment on the state-managed Detroit Public Schools’ proposed $784 million budget for 2012-13.

The hearing starts at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Renaissance High School.

The budget plan cuts spending by 25 percent as 15 schools shift to a new state authority created to increase student achievement.

Michigan put emergency manager Roy Roberts in charge of the district after persistent budget deficits run up by the district’s elected board of education.

The district said last week that it expects an $11.9 million surplus for 2011-12.

The district says it’s projecting an enrollment of 51,927 in 2012-13. That number excludes the estimated 11,020 students in the 15 schools that are coming under the state’s new Education Achievement Authority for underperforming schools.

A proposed property tax millage to support the new budget plan will also be a hot topic of discussion at the meeting.

MORE: DPS Budget Calls For Nearly 1,900 Job Cuts, Pay Cut

View a copy of the proposed budget document at this link.

TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,972 other followers