7 Treated For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Running Generator Indoors

WEST BLOOMFIELD (WWJ) – Police in West Bloomfield Township say seven people are recovering after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from running a generator indoors.

Investigators say fire and EMS crews were called to the home on Norma Lee Street, near Maple and Drake, around 3 p.m. Thursday for an unspecified medical emergency.

Officials say upon arrival, they were alerted to elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the home and found a generator running in the garage.

The home was evacuated and several of the residents were displaying signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said. Seven of the occupants were treated and transported to local hospitals. They are all expected to make a full recovery.

Investigators say the generator had been running nearly 12 hours straight, with carbon monoxide levels that were more than a dozen times what’s considered safe.

The Fire Department wants to remind residents that generators are combustion engines and should be kept in the open for proper ventilation. Officials say never run a generator or any engine that produces exhaust in your home or in any enclosed space where fumes can accumulate.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and feel ill, ventilate the area and call 911.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Fall Festivals In Metro DetroitFrom music to art to special events, there's a little something for everyone's delight.
Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.

Watch & Listen