Frustration Runs Wild in Detroit Sports
Tigers CentralShop for Tigers Gear
Buy Tigers Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
By: Mike Stone
The newest edition of the six pack deals with frustration — and oh yes, there is tons of frustration to go around the Detroit sports scene. Here are my most six most frustrating things about our teams right now.
1. Delmon Young: I know there are worse players on the team, but he frustrates the hell out of me, especially against right-handed hitters. His OPS is almost 120 points higher against lefties and his recent numbers are horrific. Since the all-star break Young is batting .238 with a slugging percentage of .302 .Those are disgraceful stats for anyone let alone a number 5 hitter. What is more frustrating is watching pitchers pitch around Prince Fielder to face Young, knowing a double play or a feeble at bat is coming up.
2. Watching Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello struggle at key times. Here is the difference between good and mediocre. When the opposing team has runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs, batters are hitting .184 against Justin Verlander and .222 against Doug Fister. However when facing Porcello the other teams are hitting .281 and against Scherzer its .306. The frustration of watching these guys pitch well, only to have them fail to close innings with 2 outs drives me nuts.
3. Hearing Jim Schwartz’s coach speak is unbelievable frustrating. I understand it sounds like media whining, but Schwartz gets asked questions the fans want answers to and giving the stock NFL coach answers while revealing nothing is mind numbing. What makes the non-information frustrating is that away from the microphone Schwartz is not only intelligent but funny as well. He is a guy you want to hang out with, but once the microphone is on its usually monotone drivel. When your mentor is Bill Belichick it’s just the way it is going to be whether we like it or not.
4. You know what is frustrating? Hearing fans worry about Mikel Leshoure’s hamstring injury. Here is a bulletin, Leshoure is going to be suspended the first two games anyway. He can take all the time he needs to heal properly.
5. The Wings off-season is definitely frustrating. How they can possibly think of going into the season with a defense of Kronwall, White, Ericsson, Smith, Quincey, and Kindl? Maybe my frustration will be for naught and they will make a trade and pick up someone of significance, but as summer nears its conclusion, I don’t have much hope.
6. Frustration also comes from the press box. I am getting frustrated beyond belief with the television broadcast team of Mario Impemba and Rod Allen. Don’t get me wrong, I expect the home team announcers to be homers to a certain extent, but they need to be more critical of the players at times. It seems they are worried that they will upset guys if they point out even the obvious flaws. I am not asking them to say certain guys suck or get upset like we do, but at least put out facts of guys struggling. I want to know that a certain player is hitting .145 with guys in scoring position. If Boesch or Young swing at balls in the dirt I want them called out.