DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – A judge has ruled that some Detroit schools will remain in a new district for low-performing schools despite a ballot proposal challenging a state law that allowed the move.
Wayne County Circuit Judge John Murphy told emergency manager Roy Roberts on Tuesday that the Detroit Board of Education will maintain academic control of remaining schools in the district pending the election outcome on Michigan’s emergency manager law.
Until that time, Roberts will maintain control over money matters district, according to the previous law, Public Act 72, which allowed state-appointed managers only financial oversight.
Board members sought to reverse Roberts’ movement of 15 schools into the Education Achievement Authority, claiming it falls under their academic control. Roberts said that would have been “chaotic” just before the Sept. 4 start of classes.
Roberts called the court’s decision a win for students.
“With me this is not about power and I don’t think it’s about power with all members of the board. I don’t believe that,” said Roberts. “Ti me this is about how do you educate kids in Detroit. And I’m gonna stay the course.”
Roberts said he wants to sit down with the school board and figure-out a way forward.
In November Michiganders will get a chance to vote on a repeal of Public Act 4, the state’s emergency manager law, which passed last year.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)