DETROIT (WWJ) – The Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix committee is making good on its promise to fix-up road surfaces along the island’s race course.
Work began Monday that will provide a smoother surface along 80,000 square feet of roadway.
“Last year we had to stop the race for almost two hours to fix the track, and I committed to the people afterwards – to the fans, the sponsors, that will not happen again. We are going to live up to our committment and with Penske Corporations involvement with a few sponsors, we’re going to fix the track … over a million dollars worth of expense,” said Denker.
He vows that Grand Prix fans won’t see that happen in 2013.
“Over 30 million dollars of benefit were brought to our region by having the race here for just three days. Next year, the race will is May 31st through June 2nd. We’ll have equally good racing, but I can commit to anybody here, now, we’ll have uninterrupted … great racing and no stoppage,” he said.
Denker says we’ll see the same four racing series return in 2013: Indy Car, Grand Am, World Challenge and the Indy Lights. Team Penske driver Elio Castroneves will also be back along with Dario Franchitti and others.
The improvements are scheduled to be completed over the course of a few weeks at a cost of about a million dollars.