Steelcase Store, Turnstone Introduce 3D Office Design Tool
GRAND RAPIDS — Steelcase Store and Turnstone Friday unveiled a new online tool for planning and designing workspaces in 3D using the Unity gaming platform. The tool, which turns small business owners, office managers and home office users into interior designers, provides users with the ability to create, customize and optimize a simple workspace before spending a dime.
“A well-designed physical workspace enables workers to thrive creatively and ultimately impact business results,” said Sara Johnson, Steelcase channel development manager. “This online tool uses gaming technology giving consumers and workers a simple solution to design a workspace before purchasing the furniture. For design-novices, the tool removes the barriers that stand in the way of better office design: uncertainty, unknown costs and time.”
Additional features of the online tool include:
• Intricate and dynamic 3D models are brought to life;
• Workers can create real-time social interaction and sharing via Facebook, Twitter or email, enabling shared creativity and co-creation;
• Workplaces can be planned in 2D or 3D, measured in both metric and standard units;
• Workers choose a room layout, drag-and-drop Steelcase or Turnstone furniture and choose the colors;
• A simple click enables workers to purchase the entire drawing.
“Running a small businesses is hard enough, designing a space should be easy,” said Kevin Kuske, Turnstone general manager. “Today’s workplaces can enhance collaboration, attract and retain top talent and build brand and culture for an organization.”
To celebrate the launch of this tool, Steelcase and Turnstone are also announcing a design contest. Workers and want-to-be office designers can participate by using the tool to design a space and publish it on the site. Each entry submitted will automatically be entered into a weekly drawing for a Steelcase Leap or Cobi chair. For official rules and details of the contest, please visit www.store.steelcase.com/design-contest or www.myturnstone.com/design-contest. Three winners will be announced on the site each week throughout the month of October.