Reporting Pat Sweeting
DETROIT (WWJ) - Detroit officials say hazardous materials crews were called to the city’s 911 communications building when employees smelled natural gas.
Officials talking to WWJ Newsradio 950′s Pat Sweeting said it’s been determined the leak did not originate from the 911 dispatch center, but employees there smelled fumes.
At about noon, everyone inside was asked to leave the building.
“The odor of natural gas was pretty much overwhelming and at that point we started evacuation because we did not know the source of the gas,” said Detroit Police Commander Todd Bettison.
Bettison said it was later determined that the leak was off-site, a couple of blocks away. “The gas came in through our ducts, and that’s how it entered our building,” he said.
After clearing the air at the 911 center, employees were allowed back inside. No injuries were reported.
Bettison said the ordeal cause a minor disruption in emergency services at the center for about five to 10 minutes. Services were redirected to another center on Detroit’s east side and response time was returned to normal.