$12K Reward Offered In Random Freeway Shootings

WIXOM (WWJ/AP) – A $12,000 reward is being offered as investigators from local and state police agencies work to catch a man suspected of firing shots on at least 22 cars in Michigan.

The Oakland County sheriff’s department said Wednesday that Crime Stoppers of Mid-Michigan added $1,000 to the reward, upping the total.

The apparently random shootings happened in four southeast Michigan counties last week, mainly on or near 100 miles of Michigan interstate highway — all over a 48-hour period. The first occurred Oct. 16 and the last was reported Thursday. No injuries have been reported.

A task force investigating the shootings has received more than 250 tips. Authorities are working to follow up on those.

Fragments of seven bullets recovered from the scenes in the city of Wixom and Livingston County show they came from the same gun — but Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard told WWJ Newsradio 950, as of this point, they can’t say what kind of gun was used. (More on  this here).

Anyone with information about the shootings is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.

(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

  • http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/08/16/freeway-shooter-to-go-on-trial-in-2014/ Suspected ‘Freeway Shooter’ To Go On Trial In 2014 « CBS Detroit

    […] October of 2012, during the height of the freeway shooting incidents, a $12,000 reward was offered as investigators from local and state police agencies worked to catch the person suspected of firing shots on at […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Best Winter Festivals In Metro Detroit
Thanksgiving Parade Guide

Watch & Listen