BRIGHTON (WWJ) – Michigan State Police say reports of a freeway shooting near Brighton Monday morning were unfounded.
Police said, just before 9 a.m., they got a call about a possible shooting along US-23 just north of I-96 near Kensington — but it turned out no shots were fired.
Lt. Mike Shaw said a “projectile” of some kind, not a bullet, hit a woman’s vehicle. He said investigators do not believe the incident is related to the recent rash of freeway shootings.
Also Monday morning, some news outlets were reporting a possible arrest in the freeway shootings case after a man in a dark-colored vehicle was pulled over and then taken into custody following a foot chase along US-23 in that area. Police said that man was arrested on another charge, unrelated to the random shootings case.
Meantime, more than 80 members of law enforcement are now working n the case of the I-96 shooter, following more than 24 reports of cars being fired at across four counties. Most of the shootings took place near the freeway; apparently at random.
In the latest confirmed incident, a man was shot in his backside while driving on I-96 near the Fowlerville exit Saturday. He is expected to be okay. He was the first person so far to be struck by a bullet in this case.
Shaw said law enforcement officials across the area are on high alert.
“Actually, it does a lot to the urgency. We’ve been very fortunate before when all these incidents have occurred when they just struck a vehicle and nobody was injured,” said Shaw. “Now that somebody just happened to be injured it kinda raises it up a little bit and we’re concerned where this person (the shooter) might go next.”
Authorities say that ballistic evidence shows that at least most of these shootings are related, but they are looking into a possible copycat.
Anyone with information about any of these incidents is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK UP.
Stay with WWJ as we continue to follow this story.