DETROIT (CBS Detroit) It’s beginning to look a lot like Thanksgiving in metro Detroit and that means three things: A meal with family and friends, a Lions game, and a big, big parade.
For all those who can’t wait to line Woodward Avenue to watch the floats, dancers, and other performers, The Parade Company announced its line-up Thursday.
It includes grand marshals Congressman John Dingell and Debbie Dingell — who will lead the beloved parade past some of Detroit’s most historic landmarks including the Fox Theatre, Comerica Park and the Madison Building.
And that’s only the beginning. The parade will step off at Woodward Avenue and Mack at 10 a.m. on Thanksgiving and end at Woodward Avenue and Congress in downtown Detroit.
“We are proud to welcome and host an amazing group of celebrities and Olympic athletes for the 86th America’s Thanksgiving Parade,” said Tony Michaels, president & CEO, The Parade Company. “Our all-star and celebrity line-up is an incredible element to the parade and we hope everyone comes together for one of the city’s greatest traditions.”
Included in the line-up are:
2012 USA Olympic Champions
• Alex Morgan-US Women’s National Soccer Team, 2012 Olympic gold medalist
• Nathan Adrian-American swimmer, record holder and three-time Olympic medalist
• Allison Schmitt-American swimmer and six time Olympic medalist
• Tucker Dupree-One of the top blind swimmers in America, gold medalist and record holder
• Peter Vanderkaay-American swimmer and four-time Olympic gold medalist
• Tyler Clary-American swimmer, Olympic gold medalist and Olympic record holder
• Ashanti-Grammy award-winning singer, songwriter, actor and author
• Ray Scott-Detroit Pistons great and Michigan Sports Hall of Famer
• Jason Earles-Actor and comedian known for his roles in Disney’s Hanna Montana & Kickin’ It
• Mateen Cleaves-Michigan State University’s only three-time All-American in basketball
• Dave Hester-Reality TV star of A&E’s Storage Wars
• Lomas Brown-Detroit Lions’ great and one of the NFL’s premier offensive tackles
• Miss Michigan America Angela Venditti
• Santa Claus
• Miss Michigan USA Jaclyn Schultz
• Strawberry Shortcake
• Despicable Me II Minions
Other highlights of the event include the 30th annual Turkey Trot, Michigan’s largest 10K run paced for record numbers this year with 20,000 participants expected. The race also includes the 7th Annual Strategic Staffing Solutions Stuffing Strut (5K) and 10th Annual Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Mashed Potato Mile.
A Day In Paradeland Presented By Art Van – See and experience the larger-than-life floats featured in America’s Thanksgiving Parade and enjoy games, rides and food on Saturday, November 24 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at The Parade Company. Admission is $6 per person.
The Parade Company Studio Tours – Take a magical, behind-the-scenes tour of The Parade Company and discover the city’s most hidden treasure. Tours are offered year around and are available for groups of 10 or more by reservation.