WATCH CBS NEWS VIDEO: DNC NEWS AND ANALYSIS LIVE COVERAGE

Four Hospitalized For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Detroit

DETROIT (WWJ) – Four people, including a young girl, are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after being rescued from a home on Detroit’s west side.

EMS officials told WWJ Newsradio 950 at least two ambulances were sent to the 16300 block of West Parkway, near McNichols and Telegraph, early Tuesday morning.

Two men, a woman and a girl about 10 years old were brought out of the house.

Investigators are looking into the official source of the fumes.

Samuel Richardson, who lives across the street, thinks the family was using a generator to power a furnace he saw some men drag into the home on Tuesday.

“My suspicion is they’d been without power for a couple months, but we seen the lineman and people come out. So I guess they were trying to get that back together,” Richardson said.

“(The setup was) more than likely makeshift. The generator was outside with the amount of noise that it was making, but you’re still gonna get the fumes if it’s not going up the chimney, and they’re gonna get you,” he said. “People are dying because they can’t afford the electricity.”

All four are expected to recover.

Comments

More From CBS Detroit

Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.
Hump Day Drinks: 8 Cheery Cocktail RecipesNow that you've made it through half the work week, it's time to celebrate!

Watch & Listen