DETROIT (WWJ) — Thousands of AT&T mobile phone customers across Southeast Michigan were affected by a massive phone outage Monday morning.
AT&T spokesman Jermaine Spight said that as of 2 p.m. all service had been restored. The cause of the outage, he said, is still under investigation.
Spight said AT&T began getting reports of a phone outage around 8 Monday morning, “but that doesn’t mean that’s when it actually started.”
Only voice service was interrupted. Texting and data services were unaffected, Spight said.
Phone users in nine counties were affected — Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Monroe, Washtenaw, Livingston, Lapeer, Genesee and St. Clair.
Spight said it wasn’t yet clear whether the outage was caused by a hardware or a software problem or both.
One Metro Detroit service company spent some time Monday reeling from the outage. Essential is reporting mass outages on their BlackBerry smart phones. Technician John Godden said he can’t place calls — and that’s making it hard to contact clients.
“It’s very disruptive … Text messaging works, email works — that’s it,” Godden said.
Stay with WWJ for the latest.