I-96 Shootings Suspect Charged With Terrorism
HOWELL (WWJ/AP) - The Michigan attorney general’s office has filed terrorism and other new charges against a man suspected in a shooting spree that targeted motorists in and near I-96 in four counties.
The office announced last month that it was taking over the cases at the request of prosecutors in Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties. And on Thursday, it formally charged 43-year-old Raulie Casteel of Wixom with seven felony counts involving Livingston County attacks.
Defense lawyer Charles Groh isn’t commenting.
The Oakland County prosecutor’s office will continue to handle the 60 counts Casteel faces in connection with shootings in Wixom and Commerce Township.
AG spokesperson Joy Yearout alleges Casteel literally terrorized people.
“He terrified motorists from Lansing to Detroit; people altered their routes. Mothers told children not to go to school … school bus routes were altered,” Yearout said. “A massive multi-jurisdictional task force had to be formed to track him down and arrest him.”
The shootings took place along a 100-mile I-96 corridor Oct. 16 through Oct. 18, then stopped until Oct. 27 when a man was shot in the backside while driving on I-96 near the Fowlerville exit. He was the only person struck by a bullet in this case.
The terrorism charge comes after Casteel was already charged in Oakland and Livingston counties. Livingston county is expected to drop its charges and allow the attorney general’s office to take over.
No motive possible has been disclosed.
If convicted, Casteel faces up to life in prison. An arraignment is set for next week.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)