CBS62logoNEW2013_blue_final_header_White wwj950-sm2011b 971-ticket-35smb 35h_CBSSportsRad_Detroit

Local

Carbon Monoxide Leak Found At House Where 3 Died

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

FLINT (WWJ/AP) - It turns out a furnace is to blame for a carbon monoxide leak that killed a Flint couple and a young boy.

Police say 43-year-old LeTroy Edwards, 37-year-old Selena Carranza and 11-year-old Jayson Cobbin were found unresponsive in their home on Christmas morning. Edwards and Carranza were pronounced dead at the scene, while Jayson died at a local hospital. Several other people who were in different parts of the house managed to escape.

Dan Bishop, a Consumers Energy spokesman, said the leak occurred because the furnace’s boiler “was plugged with soot.”

“This is a tragic example of the importance of having your furnace inspected on an annual basis by a qualified contractor to make sure it is clean,” Bishop told Mlive.com.

Authorities haven’t released an official cause of death. Autopsy results are pending.

About 400 people die nationwide each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Carbon monoxide is created when something burns without an adequate supply of oxygen. It can come from defective furnaces or space heaters used with inadequate ventilation.

TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,913 other followers