Early Morning Fire Destroys Troy Home
TROY, Mich. (WWJ) – A Troy resident escaped an early morning house fire in the East Long Lake and John R area on Monday.
Assistant Fire Chief Dave Roberts said “pack rat” conditions inside the home, combined with combustibles inside, weakened the structure of the house to the point they could no longer douse the flames from the inside.
“We’re to the point now where the building is so unstable, in order to extinguish the rest of the fire, we’re gonna have to get some equipment from our public works here to start pulling the house apart so we can extinguish the fire safely,” Roberts said.
One firefighter was taken to the hospital to be treated for a hand injury. He has since been released.
There’s no word yet on what sparked the flames.