Early Morning Fire Destroys Troy Home

TROY, Mich. (WWJ) – A Troy resident escaped an early morning house fire in the East Long Lake and John R area on Monday.

Assistant Fire Chief Dave Roberts said “pack rat” conditions inside the home, combined with combustibles inside, weakened the structure of the house to the point they could no longer douse the flames from the inside.

“We’re to the point now where the building is so unstable, in order to extinguish the rest of the fire, we’re gonna have to get some equipment from our public works here to start pulling the house apart so we can extinguish the fire safely,” Roberts said.

One firefighter was taken to the hospital to be treated for a hand injury. He has since been released.

There’s no word yet on what sparked the flames.

More from Ron Dewey

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Fall Festivals In Metro DetroitFrom music to art to special events, there's a little something for everyone's delight.
Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.

Watch & Listen