Kilpatricks Withdraw Plea For Donations For Sons’ Education
DETROIT (WWJ) – Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick now says he and his wife have decided not to send their three boys to one of the best private schools in the country.
In a statement sent to WWJ Newsradio 950 on Friday, Kilpatrick said he called two people to whom the couple had sent letters seeking donations and informed them of their decision.
Kilpatrick reiterated that no donations were received toward his children’s tuition that would have cost an estimated $32,000.
A spokesman for the Michigan Department of Corrections officials said the department was aware of a solicitation letter written by Kilpatrick’s wife, Carlita, and that the action was not in violation of Kilpatrick’s parole.
Kilpatrick has been ordered to report any gifts, monetary or not, that his family may receive.
The condition is part of the former Detroit mayor’s long road of restitution to the city as part of a conviction for lying under oath about an affair with his chief of staff. He subsequently served 14 months in prison for violating his probation in that case.
Kilpatrick remains tethered and under house arrest in Detroit after he admitted getting more than $6,000 in cash from several wire transfers last month, and is banned from traveling to Texas where his wife and sons live.
He’s currently on trial in Detroit Federal Court, along with his father and a friend, for public corruption in a separate case.
Click here to catch up on Kilpatrick’s federal corruption trial.