SOUTHFIELD (WWJ) – Despite the warnings to cover up while outside, this week’s bitter cold has been keeping hospital emergency rooms busy.
Providence Hospital emergency room physician Dr. Steve Rivera said they’ve seen a couple of cases of extreme cold injuries this week. One involved a 9-year-old boy who got his shirt soaked during a school art class.
“It was dripping wet and so the water was dripping down to his hands. It was very cold yesterday and he’s out — they’re playing around out there. I don’t know what the criteria is at school, but they brought him in immediately,” Rivera told WWJ Newsradio 950’s Sandra McNeil.
The child was treated at the emergency room for hypothermia. “Fortunately, he had second degree frostbite injury, but he’s not going to lose any of his digits,” Rivera said.
Meanwhile, a mentally ill Metro Detroit man is expected to remain hospitalized for several days after he suffered frostbite while walking around outside with no shoes.
In Detroit, a 55-year-old man died as a result of what authorities said is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning from a home generator.
Sign up for severe weather text alerts: Text STORM to 95001
For daily weather forecast text alerts: Text FORECAST to 95001