DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – Federal health officials say at least 16 people in five states have been sickened by salmonella food poisoning linked to ground beef.
No one has died, but half were hospitalized. Most of the illnesses have been in Michigan, but a few cases were scattered in Arizona, Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Seven people ate a raw ground beef dish called kibbeh last month at a suburban Detroit restaurant that wasn’t identified. Health officials say consumers should not eat uncooked meat.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the cases have been linked to last week’s recall of more than 1,000 pounds of ground beef from two Michigan businesses, Troy-based Gab Halal Foods and Sterling Heights-based Jouni Meats.
U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) said the recalled beef was produced between Dec. 4 and Dec. 9. The products were sold in various size packages without a label.
Authorities say anyone who may have purchased ground beef from Jouni Meats during those dates should either return it, or throw it out. Consumers with questions should contact the company’s owner, Khalil Jouni, at 586-274-0760.
Salmonella is one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly, and persons with HIV infection or those undergoing chemotherapy. The most common manifestations of salmonellosis are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within 12 to 72 hours. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days. Individuals concerned about an illness should contact a health care provider. (More here).
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)