ADRIAN, Mich. (WWJ/AP) – Police in Adrian have given the all clear following a chemical release that confined residents to their homes.
The chemical spill was reported Friday morning inside the Dairy Farmers of America building. Lenawee County emergency management coordinator Curtis Parsons told him a 55-gallon drum of citric acid is giving off a bloom of fumes..
Roads were closed in the area of East Maumee and Gulf Street, but have since reopened.
People living about a block from the scene were told to stay inside, but that alert has been lifted.
Adrian police said Dairy Farmers of America officials and a hazardous materials clean-up crew were taking appropriate steps to remove the contaminated chemicals from the area.
No injuries were reported.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)