SOUTHFIELD (WWJ) – A school spokesperson said students have returned to their classrooms after a gas leak scare at Southfield-Lathrup High School Friday morning.

While Lathrup Village police earlier confirmed with WWJ Newsradio 950 that a gas leak was indeed detected at the school, Jacqueline Robinson said it was just a false alarm.

Robinson said an unfamiliar odor was detected in the school, likely from exhaust fans in the kitchen. She said officials erred on the side of caution, evacuated the building and called the fire department, which confirmed the school was safe after all.

Once fire officials gave the all clear, students were allowed back inside the school, which is located on 12 Mile Road between Evergreen and Southfield roads.

School staff did, however, turn some students away while the fire department was investigating. Parents who tried to drop their children off were told they couldn’t, and student who walked to school were told to go home. School staff is now reaching out to those parents and students and are telling them to return to school.

Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and for the latest.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Cooking Classes In DetroitLearn how to whip up some wonderful dishes while having fun!
5 Bucket List Items To Cross Off In DetroitThe “must-do” items for anyone making a trip to Detroit.

Watch & Listen LIVE