Officials Say 2 Detroit Homes Firebombed

DETROIT (WWJ) – Authorities believe a firebombing is to blame for a blaze that destroyed two homes on Detroit’s east side as an apparent result of a drug dealer’s turf war.

Fire broke out early Thursday morning at a home on Cope Street, near Warren and Conner, and quickly spread to a neighboring home.

It took firefighters several hours to extinguish the flames, which reduced the homes to just piles of rubble. Police say all occupants made it out of the homes safely, without any injuries.

Fire officials on the scene told WWJ Newsradio 950 they think a firebomb is the cause of the fire.

Anthony Nichols, who has lived in the neighborhood for the past 30 years, said one of the homes that burnt down was a drug house targeted by competitors. He said his own house was mistakenly targeted last week, twice.

“Everybody knows me as, you know, the good guy, and then somebody comes and tries to burn my stuff down” Nichols told WWJ’s Ron Dewey. “I called the police department and they never showed up. It was the second attempt and I just happened to be outside when that attempt went down but, like I said, by the grace of God my house is still standing.”

Detroit police say they are investigating the incident.

More from Ron Dewey

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best Fall Festivals In Metro DetroitFrom music to art to special events, there's a little something for everyone's delight.
Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.

Watch & Listen