Writers Wanted For ‘Short on Words’ Contest
Written art can leave us feeling a variety of emotions. Some can leave us chipper or depressed while others can make us ponder our lives or laugh out loud. That’s why the Northville’s Arts & Acts Festival is having a contest called Short on Words that will highlight the art of literature.
Northville’s Arts & Acts Festival is a premier Michigan event which shines a spotlight on imagination, art, talent, and cultureal diversity. This contest will emphasize literature art and is open to all ages.
The Preservation Dental is the proud sponsor of this contest and they are accepting poetry and short story submissions as a part of the Arts & Acts Celebration being held June 28-30, 2013. But you better hurry. The deadline for the contest is April 12, 2013.
For those brave enough to have their written work judged, here is the criteria for all submissions:
- Each submission must be a poem or short story that has no more than 1,500 words and must have page numbers with no other identifying marks.
- Each entry must also have a title and be typed, double-space, and single-sided only.
- A cover page must have the title of the poem or story, the name of the author, the photo that inspired the piece, an e-mail address and contact phone number of the submitter.
- Each submission must be about one of the featured pictures that can be seen by going to www.preservationdental.com, clicking on PD Contest Page, and then clicking on which subject photo you want.
- Each competitor must mail one submission form, three copies of their work, and on $10 entry fee to the Preservation Dental, Attention: Denise Jenkins, 371 E. Main St., Northville, MI 48167. If you are using checks or money orders, please make them payable to Northville Art House.
Entries will not be returned and submitting the work allows the poem or story to be reprinted for promotional purpose.
Two different groups will able to compete in the contest. Authors ages 17 and younger can be a part of the young author competition and authors ages 18 and older can participate in the adult competition.
There are cash awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in both age groups. 1st place winners will take home $100, 2nd place winners will be given $50, and 3rd place winners will receive $25. There will also be additional prizes awarded at the discretion of the judges.
All entries will be available for public review during the festival and a reception to honor all the authors will be held Friday evening, June 28, 2013 at Northville Square on Main St. in downtown Northville. All winners will be announced at the reception which will be hosted by Preservation Dental, the office of Dr. William S. Demray.