WATCH CBS NEWS VIDEO: DNC NEWS AND ANALYSIS LIVE COVERAGE

7 Get Treatment For Carbon Monoxide

LANSING (WWJ/AP) – Authorities say seven people have been taken from a Lansing home for treatment of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Lansing State Journal reports firefighters responded to the home Wednesday morning.

Fire department spokesman Steve Mazurek said they found the people showing symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.

He said the victims will be placed in a hyperbaric chamber after being flown from Lansing to Grand Rapids for treatment.

Details on what led to the possible poisoning and the conditions of those taken from the home weren’t immediately released.

Carbon monoxide is created when something burns without an adequate supply of oxygen. It can come from defective furnaces or space heaters used with inadequate ventilation.

About 400 people die nationwide each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

More From CBS Detroit

Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.
Hump Day Drinks: 8 Cheery Cocktail RecipesNow that you've made it through half the work week, it's time to celebrate!

Watch & Listen