Local

Apartment Complex Engulfed In Flames

View Comments
(credit: Sandra McNeil/WWJ)

(credit: Sandra McNeil/WWJ)

sandramcneill Sandra McNeill
After graduating from the University of Michigan, Sandra McNeill...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

PLYMOUTH TWP. (WWJ) – Several people have been left homeless after a massive apartment building fire Thursday in Plymouth Township.

The blaze broke out at around 11 a.m. at Lakepointe Village apartments on Shadywood Drive in the area of M-14 and Haggerty Road.

Residents told WWJ Newsradio 950’s Sandra McNeil said the building superintendent was frantically knocking on doors telling everyone to get out.

“Very quickly dark smoke came through the vent in the bathroom … and I just grabbed my purse and ran,” said Karen Jordan.

A woman who lives across the street described the scene.

“I see the whole apartment complex is up in flames — the whole upper floor. There are several fire trucks here … but it’s just absolutely engulfed,” she said. “The smoke is just terrible… the flames.  Oh, the whole place is just going to be a disaster.”

No one was hurt, but several residents were worried about missing pets.

Jordan is devastated.

“Now I’ve just lost everything I have,” she said, through tears. “My mother is in the hospital … and now this, you know? It’s just so hard,” she said. “I was told everything — the whole building — was destroyed; everything is gone.”

The Red Cross is providing food, clothing and shelter to the residents of the 16 affected units.

This is the same apartment complex that was hit by a tornado in 2008.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,976 other followers