DETROIT (WWJ) – One person was injured in an apartment building fire on Detroit’s east side Tuesday morning.
Fire broke out around 6:30 a.m. at the Windmill Pointe Manor apartment complex on Alter Road at East Jefferson Avenue, near the border of Detroit and Grosse Pointe Park.
Fire officials say EMS crews transported one resident to the hospital for treatment, although their injuries are reportedly more trauma related than fire related.
Fellow resident Darrell Ezell said he woken up to the sound of someone banging on his door, followed by the smell and sight of smoke in the air.
“Somebody came banging on my door like they was the police, and I’m like ‘What the hell is going on,'” he said. “But it was nothing serious. We don’t have to move out or anything like that, that was the main thing. Nobody lost too much of anything, other than sleep.”
Ezell said thinks the fire was started by a candle in one of the units.
“Nothing really serious, just some minor structural damage within the apartment, somebody had a little smoke inhalation, stuff like that,” he said.
A cause of the fire hasn’t yet been determined. An investigation is ongoing.