Detroit Firefighter Hurt In Blaze Likely Started By Molotov Cocktail
DETROIT (WWJ) - Authorities say a Detroit firefighter was hurt while extinguishing a fire on the city’s east side that was likely started by a molotov cocktail.
The fire broke out Thursday morning at a two-story vacant house in the 2400 block of Townsend, near East Vernor Highway and East Grand Boulevard.
Detroit Fire Capt. Joe English said one of his firefighters was taken to the hospital after being hurt while battling the blaze.
“He just got busted in the mouth with some debris when they were busting out the glass and pulling the ceiling, with the wet plaster in there. So, he’s going to be OK and he’s getting some stitches and, you know, getting looked at,” he said.
English said this is the second time the house has caught on fire recently, only this time they have a few more clues as to what happened.
“We secured molotov gasoline bottles that were inside there, so we know somebody tried to deliberately set the fire,” he said.
English said despite budgetary problems in the city that have caused cutbacks within the department, his crews are still dedicated to keeping Detroiters safe.
“We just keep doing it every day. To be honest with you, these guys, they’ve got a lot of heart. I’ll tell you, a lot of these guys are upset, and rightfully so for a 10 percent pay cut and they’re making them pay more for other things. But being a battalion chief, I go around to these fires when we get here and these guys still do a heck of a job,” he said.
An investigation into the fire is ongoing.
Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and CBSDetroit.com for the latest.