Road Crew Breaks Gas Main In Royal Oak
ROYAL OAK (WWJ) – Residents near Coolidge Highway in Royal Oak had a scare Friday morning when a road construction crew hit a gas line, causing it to leak.
Consumers Energy crews rushed to the scene, south of 13 Mile Road, along Coolidge Highway.
Royal Oak Fire Captain Dave Worley said natural gas began venting when the crew, working along Coolidge, between Woodward Avenue and Webster, broke a two-inch pipe.
Worley said about 30 homes on Parker would be without gas service temporarily. One business was briefly evacuated but has since reopened.
He asked that motorists try to avoid the area.
Consumers Energy spokeswoman Debra Dodd said they know a gas leak can be dangerous — even deadly — and they’re doing what they can.
“We are working to make the area safe,” she said, later Friday morning. “You know, we have our best employees, who are very well-trained, following procedures.
“We should have this taken care of very quickly, but I certainly understand the concern of people in the area,” Dodd said.
This incident comes after a natural gas explosion in late February killed a Royal Oak man. In that case, Consumers Energy employees were aware of a gas leak, but were unable to locate it, and left the scene.