Gunman Dead After Royal Oak Standoff
ROYAL OAK (WWJ) – A six-hour standoff in Royal Oak is over after a man who had been barricaded inside a home took his own life.
Royal Oak Police Chief Corrigan O’Donohue said the man inside the house on Sprague Street died of an apparent self-inflected gunshot wound. He said officers entered the home and found the body after a police robot first found no threats inside.
He said officers arrived at the home at around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, looking for a man suspected in a “suspicious death” in Franklin.
Reporting from the scene, WWJ’s Stephanie Davis said she could see sharp shooters with their weapons pointed at the home.
Nearby neighbors were told to either leave their homes or stay inside, away from the windows.
“I came outside to mow my lawn and opened the door and a couple of SWAT trucks and the tactical vehicles were here,” said David Brown, who lived down the block.
Meantime, less than 10 miles away in Franklin, Police Chief Dan Roberts said an “older man” was found dead at a home on Charles Lane, in an upscale neighborhood near Inkster and 13 Mile Road.
Roberts stopped just short of calling the case a homicide.
“It’s very suspicious and nature and we’ve had assistance from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office,” Roberts said. “Their crime scene evidence technicians are here helping us process the scene.”
No names have been released and police aren’t yet explaining the relationship between the gunman and the deceased.
Stay with WWJ and CBSDetroit.com for the latest.