Local

Suspect Arrested After Bomb Scare At Westland City Hall

View Comments
A bomb squad vehicle is seen outside Westland City Hall. (credit: Beth Fisher/WWJ)

A bomb squad vehicle is seen outside Westland City Hall. (credit: Beth Fisher/WWJ)

WESTLAND (WWJ) – A suspect in an alleged bomb threat has been arrested outside Westland City Hall.

A Michigan State Police bomb squad was called to the scene Monday afternoon on reports a man was inside the building with an explosive device.

No injuries have been reported.

A Westland police officer told WWJ’s Beth Fisher that a suspect has been taken into custody and said they will be on the scene for hours sweeping the building.

WWJ received numerous calls from witnesses who were alarmed by a large police presence. They said people were being asked to leave the immediate area. At a nearby Boston Market restaurant, an employee said they were told it was a “hostage situation.”

Bill Pauls was outside city hall when police told him to clear out of the area.

“As far as I could see everyone was running out, a lot of ladies in their work clothes, purses and high heels over to the fire station and they took cover inside the fire station,” he said.

Pauls said it was a scary situation and is glad that no one was hurt.

Daryl Morgan was outside Westland City Hall at the time … paying his respects to firefighter Brian Woehlke, who lost his life in the line of duty last week.

“This should have been a day of reflecting on a great man’s life – for the sacrifices he made for this great city of Wayne. And we’ve got this bozo doing whatever, God knows what, putting other people at risk.”

High school senior Cody Yax came to the scene once students were let out of the school.

“I’ve lived here all my life in this area and it just seems like the last two years it’s just getting worse and worse … to know that there is a bomb planted at fricken city hall is just weird. It’s really, really wierd,”  Yox said.

He says he is worried about his city.

A school administrator said students were sent home early from nearby John Glenn High School as a precaution.   Other area schools were also reported to be on precautionary lockdown.

Authorities shut down a section of Ford Road.

Stay with WWJ and CBSDetroit.com for the latest.

(credit: Kathryn Larson/WWJ)

Ford Road is closed to traffic. (credit: Kathryn Larson/WWJ)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,375 other followers