Detroit Schools Manager To Stay On For Awhile
DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – Gov. Rick Snyder says the state-appointed emergency manager for Detroit’s public schools has decided to postpone his plans to step down by up to six months.
Former General Motors executive Roy Roberts had announced earlier this month that he would leave when his contract expired Thursday. Snyder said in a statement Wednesday that the decision to stay underscores Roberts’ commitment to students, families and teachers.
“Roy’s devotion to the students, families and teachers of Detroit Public Schools has been apparent since his appointment in 2011,” said Snyder. “His willingness to delay his personal plans and continue providing critical vision and leadership to the district for the next six months underscores that commitment.”
Roberts has guided the academically and financially struggling district since 2011. Both areas have shown limited improvement.
“While much work remains, there’s no doubt that the district is moving in the right direction,” Snyder said. “As the school year winds down, it is important that students stay on a steady course. Roy’s continued guidance will guarantee that essential continuity.”
Detroit’s schools have been under state oversight since 2009. The district has lost more than 100,000 students and millions of dollars in per-pupil funding since 2000.
Last year, some of the district’s worst performing schools were transferred into a new, separately operated school system.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)