MOUNT CLEMENS (WWJ/AP) – A 68-year-old man accused of trying to hire a hit man to kill his wife of 27 years is expected to face trial after withdrawing his plea.
Charles Tringali of Roseville was scheduled to be sentenced Monday in Macomb County Circuit Court in Mount Clemens after previously pleading no contest to a charge of solicitation to murder. Instead, The Macomb Daily reports a trial now is scheduled for Sept. 24.
According to investigators, Tringali wanted out of his marriage, but wasn’t planning on getting a divorce.
Police said Tringali met the undercover officer and discussed a location for the killing, along with the method. Tringali was then arrested after allegedly making a down payment of $100 and promising to pay half of a life insurance policy.
Defense lawyer Steven Freers said Tringali didn’t want to kill his wife and was “influenced by powers that be.”
Freers earlier said Tringali was set up by a roommate. “My theory is the guy living with him goaded him along,” Freers said. “He set him up, and while he [Tringali] was in jail, stripped his house. He even took the furnace and the water heater. He pretty much cleaned the place out.”
Tringali’s wife, who lives in a nursing home, was unhurt.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)