DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – Jurors in the involuntary manslaughter trial of a Detroit police officer watched a demonstration of a stun grenade like the one used during a raid that turned fatal.

A crime tech testifies about blood splatter on an officers' hand-held shield. (credit: Mike Campbell/WWJ)

A crime tech testifies about blood splatter on an officers’ hand-held shield. (credit: Mike Campbell/WWJ)

The demonstration was done away from the Wayne County courthouse on Wednesday. The grenade emitted a loud pop, smoke and a bright light. Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway barred reporters from disclosing the location of the demonstration.


A stun grenade was used by Detroit police in 2010 as they tried to capture a murder suspect in a house. Seconds later, 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones was fatally shot.

Officer Joseph Weekley is charged with her death. He says he accidentally pulled the trigger when Aiyana’s grandmother grabbed his submachine gun. The grandmother denies she touched the gun, and another officer testified Tuesday that there was no struggle.

Before jurors were transported for the demonstration, they heard some graphic testimony from an evidence technician who described blood spatter and other stains found on a police officer’s shield that was left at the scene.

Prosecutors are expected to wrap up their case Thursday.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE