Mike Duggan Back Off Detroit Primary Ballot
DETROIT (WWJ) - Detroit mayoral hopeful Mike Duggan is once again off the primary ballot.
The Michigan Court of Appeals upheld the lower court’s ruling, Tuesday, in split a decision.
At issue is Duggan’s residency.
A Wayne County Circuit Judge Lita M. Popke last week ruled that Duggan’s name must be removed from the ballot after opposing candidate Tom Barrow claimed Duggan was not a resident and registered to vote in Detroit for a year — as required by city charter —when he turned in his signatures to become an official candidate for mayor.
Said Barrow, in a statement out following the ruling: ”This is the best solution for the City of Detroit. The Court in upholding the new Detroit City Charter restores Detroiters’ faith in the objective rule of law and in treating all citizens the same regardless of wealth and stature …
“Our biggest concern was that the integrity of the election process be respected by those who would move to our great city seeking public office. It must be known that Detroit is a community which respects the rules of law and fair play and applies these rules to everyone, whether rich or otherwise …” Barrow said.
Earlier this week, a three-judge appeals court panel said put a hold on Popke’s ruling pending their decision.
Duggan may now be out of time, with the ballots set to be printed on June 21.
Duggan’s office said he’s going to consider his options. He’ll mull this over overnight, and make a statement to the media on Wednesday.
According to the latest polls, Duggan — former CEO of the Detroit Medical Center — is a front-runner in the race, along with Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon.