Mike Duggan Supporters Rally For A Write-in Campaign
SOUTHFIELD (WWJ) – Supporters of Mike Duggan want him back in the running for Detroit mayor.
More than a dozen Detroiters rallied outside of the State of Michigan building in Detroit on Thursday, calling for Duggan to launch a write-in campaign.
Duggan officially pulled out of the race last week after the Michigan Court of Appeals upheld a decision that removed his name from the primary election ballot. The court ruled that Duggan filed nominating petitions two weeks too early, and was not quite a resident of Detroit for a year — which is required by the city charter.
WWJ Newsradio 950′s Pat Sweeting spoke with G. Peggy Noble who said Detroit citizens are excited about Duggan.
“A couple of weeks before Mike made the announcement, before we heard from the courts, we were on Grand River and Greenfield,” Folks was honking the horns; there were giving us the thumbs up. There was almost an accident on one of the corners … So, you know, something had to be done. We couldn’t go down like that.”
Noble said they’re not ready to give up on their preferred candidate.
“… Over the past week or so, most of us have been … going out into the community,” Noble added. “They said ‘What are we going to do now?’ And some of them were claiming they were going to write his name on the ballot anyway. So we decided to come out and rally for Mike to reconsider a write-in.”
Thursday’s rally comes after reports last week that Duggan had been contacted by some top state Democrats about running for governor. There has been no word from Duggan what his next move might be.
Duggan is expected to hold a news conference on Friday.