Under the bed isn’t the only place parents should look to assure kids they’re safe — also check the closets. University of Illinois researchers say two kids were hospitalized after being poked in the eye by the wire in a collapsible laundry hamper.
In both cases, the cloth was frayed and exposed the wire, which snapped back and caught the children in the eye.
An 11-year-old suffered a scratched cornea. The other needed surgery, but has since recovered.
Researchers want parents to inspect their collapsible hampers to make sure they don’t pose an injury risk to kids. The takeaway? If your collapsible hamper is frayed in any way — replace it.