Lansing Woman Critically Hurt After Firework Just ‘Blew Up’
LANSING (WWJ/AP) - A firework named “Do or Die” exploded in the face of a Lansing woman, who suffered significant injuries to her upper body, authorities said.
Edgrekia Blackmon was taken to a Lansing hospital Thursday night before being transferred Friday to a Grand Rapids hospital where she was having surgery, family members said.
“We were out here having a blast, it was just family. She bent down to light the fuse and it exploded in her face,” cousin Dennis Patrick told WILX-TV. “She then fell back, her Detroit Pistons jersey was on fire, and she put herself out.”
An emergency crew found Blackmon lying on the ground next to the firework that had misfired, but conscious.
Blackmon’s family is now worried that she might not make it. Doctors have said it’s likely Blackmon will never see again.
“They don’t know if she is going to live or die,” said Cassandra Dabner, Blackmon’s step mother. “I never thought something like this would happen to anyone in my family, never.”
An investigation is ongoing, but authorities say it appears the incident was just a tragic accident.
“She lit it correctly. She had it in a clear area, she was standing to the side of the device, and something went horribly wrong,” said Steve Babcock, Lansing Fire Department spokesman.
Meanwhile, in Sterling Heights, five people were hurt when fireworks ignited in a street went awry. A mortar tipped over and shot into a garage. Police said the man who set up the fireworks was ticketed. The injured included two 8-year-old girls.
TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.