Landmark Detroit Restaurant Destroyed In Fire
DETROIT (WWJ) - It’s been a landmark on Detroit’s restaurant scene for more than 50 years, but, early Tuesday morning, a fire left Mr. Mike’s at Woodward Ave. and Amsterdam a charred mess.
Mary Lawfield, who drove down to the New Center-area eatery and nightclub to take a look, was devastated to learn what had happened to this piece of local history.
She had worked at the popular Mr. Mike’s for 35 years before leaving two years ago.
Her fondest memory? Lawfield said, “I grew up here!”
“A lot of my sisters worked here, on and off … (I have) six, I’m seven,” Lawfield told WWJ Newsradio 950′s Pat Sweeting. “I started when I was 16.”
Mr. Mikes has changed owners over the years, but remained in operation with a loyal clientele who enjoyed great food and Karaoke.
Sharon Yamoah, owner of the boutique next door, said Mr. Mikes was slated to participate in the city’s Taste of Summer event planned for later this month. “And he won’t be able to now, you know.”
With the smell of smoke still strong in the air a day later, Yamoah said she hadn’t yet learned the extent of the damage to her boutique’s dresses, hats and purses.
There was no immediate word on what sparked the blaze.