Local

Langton: Difficult Burden To Prove Shooting Was Not Self-Defense

View Comments
A sign showing support for Trayvon Martin is stuck in the lawn in front of the Seminole County Criminal Justice Center where a jury is deliberating in the trial of George Zimmerman on July 13, 2013 in Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, is on trial for the February 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

A sign showing support for Trayvon Martin is stuck in the lawn in front of the Seminole County Criminal Justice Center where a jury is deliberating in the trial of George Zimmerman on July 13, 2013 in Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, is on trial for the February 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

DETROIT (WWJ) – Jurors in Florida have found George Zimmerman not guilty of second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

The six-member, all-woman jury deliberated for more than 15 hours over two days before reaching their decision Saturday night.

WWJ Legal Analyst Charlie Langton says he’s pretty shocked by the outcome:

“I am a little bit surprised, yes,” said Langton. “Surpirsed because there was a gun involved and there was a dead 17-year-old, but you have to respect the juries decision. They heard all of the evidence and in Florida the self defense argument – you go back to the burden on the prosecutor to prove that it wasn’t self-defense and that was a very, very difficult burden.”

Jurors had been given the chance to convict Zimmerman of manslaughter but did not do so, despite asking for a clarification of the charge earlier in the evening.

After hearing the verdict, Judge Debra Nelson told Zimmerman he was free to go.

Read more at CBSMiami.com

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,050 other followers