TROY (WWJ) – Fire investigators in Troy say a teen suffered serious injuries while trying to burn weeds from a dirt bike trail.

Three young men — ages 17, 18, and 19 —  were near Squake Lake and Livernois Monday afternoon when their planned bike ride went terribly wrong.

Officials say one of the teens was pouring gasoline on the brush when it ignited, severely burning his face and chest.

The victim was flown to the University of Michigan Trauma Burn Center was his condition was unknown on Tuesday.

Troy authorities say this tragic event highlights several lessons:

1. NEVER use gasoline to start a fire. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and will travel along the ground until reaching a source of ignition, in this case the open flame, and then ignite explosively causing severe injury.

2. Fire is not allowed to be used to incinerate vegetation, trash or debris of any kind.

3. If for any reason one’s clothes are on fire, remember: Do Not Run. Stop, Drop, and Roll to smother the flames. Call 9-1-1 immediately.

The injured man’s name was not released.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE