2 Dead After Home Explosion Likely Caused By Gas Leak

THETFORD TWP. (WWJ/AP) – Authorities say two people are dead and one is injured after an explosion and fire at a home in Genesee County following a report of a natural gas leak.

Dave and Sue Miller died after the blast, which happened Tuesday afternoon at a home in Thetford Township. Another person in the home was injured in the explosion.

Clio Area Fire Chief Gary Domerese told Mlive.com the homeowner was digging with a backhoe nearby and hit a gas line. The home, located about 65 miles northwest of Detroit, had been undergoing renovation.

Domerese said authorities are investigating what led the gas to explode. He said the homeowner reported the leak to Consumers Energy and a technician came to the home, but the home exploded as the technician went to a truck to get tools and call for other workers.

TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Detroit

Best 4th Of July Concerts In Metro DetroitStaying home this weekend? Celebrate the 4th of July by rocking out at one of these shows.
Hump Day Drinks: 8 Cheery Cocktail RecipesNow that you've made it through half the work week, it's time to celebrate!

Watch & Listen