DETROIT (CBS Detroit) As reports spread Monday that the Tigers’ Jhonny Peralta and 11 other Major League Baseball players would be suspended 50 games for their use of performance-enhancing drugs, Peralta made no excuses.
Peralta issued a statement Monday afternoon saying this: “In spring of 2012, I made a terrible mistake that I deeply regret. I apologize to everyone that I have hurt as a result of my mistake, including my teammates, the Tigers’ organization, the great fans in Detroit, Major League Baseball, and my family.”
Peralta was outed as part of an investigation into Biogenesis, a Florida-based drug company that was targeted by the courts for distributing PEDs to athletes. While Alex Rodriguez from the New York Yankees was reportedly planning to appeal the suspension, Peralta said he accepted the sentence.
“I take full responsibility for my actions, have no excuses for my lapse in judgment and I accept my suspension,” he said in the statement.
Peralta, who has been circumspect the entire duration of the investigation, said there was something even worse than the suspension.
“My greatest punishment is knowing that I have let so many good people down,” he said. “I promise to do everything possible to try and earn back the respect that I have lost.”
The Tigers seconded the suspension, saying they fully supported baseball’s attempts to keep the game clean. They brought in Jose Inglesias last week as a replacement shortstop when it became apparent Peralta was on his way out.
“We recognize the suspension of Jhonny Peralta for violating Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program as a measure taken in the best interest of the game,” the team said in a press release. “The Detroit Tigers continue to fully support Major League Baseball’s policy and its efforts to eliminate performance enhancing drugs from our game. Per the protocol outline by Major League Baseball’s collective bargaining agreement, the Tigers’ organization will provide no further comment on Peralta’s suspension.”