Traffic Alert: Labor Day Weekend Road Work
DETROIT (WWJ) - The Michigan Department of Transportation is making travel easier for motorists this Labor Day holiday by lifting traffic restrictions on 96 of 140 projects statewide.
Beginning at 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30, and continuing until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3, MDOT will suspend construction wherever possible in anticipation of the estimated 1.2 million people AAA says will be traveling this holiday weekend in Michigan.
“While most MDOT work zones will be open and free of orange barrels this weekend, we urge motorist to use caution and remain vigilant when traveling across the state this holiday season. Motorists need to watch for lane restrictions and traffic shifts in those work zones that are still active,” State Transportation Director Kirk Steudle said in a statement.
The following is a list of work zones that will remain active, or have lane restrictions, during the Labor Day weekend. If necessary, detour routes will be posted at the project location.
City of Detroit:
- I-94 has both eastbound and westbound exits to Van Dyke Avenue closed. Van Dyke Avenue remains closed over I-94 with a posted detour.
- I-94 has both eastbound and westbound exits to West Grand Boulevard closed. West Grand Boulevard remains closed over I-94 with a posted detour.
- M-85 (Fort Street) is closed in each direction between Oakwood Boulevard and Miller Road. A detour is posted.
- I-75 has the southbound exit to West Road closed. A detour is posted.
- I-94 has one lane closed in each direction between Monroe Street and Beech Daly Road.
- I-275 has one lane closed in each direction between Ecorse Road and US-12 (Michigan Avenue).
- M-85 (Fort Street) has one lane open in each direction between Pennsylvania and Sibley roads.
- M-102 (Eight Mile Road) has two lanes open in each direction between M-39 (Southfield Freeway) and US-24 (Telegraph Road).
- US-24 (Dixie Highway) has one lane open in each direction over the Clinton River.
- 23 Mile Road is reduced to two lanes over M-53.
- I-94 has the right eastbound lane closed from I-696 to Masonic Boulevard.
- M-53 is closed in each direction between 34 Mile and Ebeling roads with a posted detour.
- I-96, Livingston County, has three lanes open in each direction near Latson Road with a traffic shift.
- M-50, Eaton County, is closed between Vermontville Highway and Needmore Highway, north of Charlotte.
- M-99, Jackson County, is closed with a detour posted at the bridge over the south branch of Rice Creek, just south of Springport.
- US-24 (Telegraph Road), Monroe County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift between Stewart Road and Hurd Street in Monroe.
- US-127, Ingham County, has two lanes open in each direction between Lake Lansing Road and I-496 with traffic shifted.
Traveling out of the area? Click here for a list of work zones throughout the state.