Dennis Fithian: #Trending Detroit Sports
By: Dennis Fithian
This is the September #Trending.
Trending is a poll which ranks who is getting talked about the most on the Detroit sports scene. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
(Rankings are compiled after meetings with on-air hosts, producers and call screeners at 97.1.)
Top 25 #Trending
1. Ndamukong Suh: 100K fine puts him on the edge for suspension.
2. Reggie Bush: Lions free agent ran like he did when he won the Heisman trophy at USC.
3. Devin Gardner: Ole #98 would have been proud of the performance vs. Notre Dame.
4. Justin Verlander: Tigers fans still holding out hope that the real JV comes around.
5. Miguel Cabrera: Back, shin, knee, hip and abdominal issues work against best hitter in the game.
6. Jeremy Gallon: 5’8 dynamo wide receiver makes tough catches and scores three times vs. Irish.
7. Shilique Calhoun: Michigan State’s defensive lineman is outscoring the offense.
8. Victor Martinez: If not for horrible start would be talked about as an MVP candidate.
9. Blake Countess: Playmaking corner for Wolverines comes back from knee injury and shines.
10. Andrew Maxwell: Senior quarterback losing his job because he can’t move the offense.
11. Conner Cook: Redshirt sophomore QB has one start under his belt and now a lot more critics.
12. Damien Terry: What do the Spartans have to lose trying a true freshman at QB?
13. Tyler O’Connor: Most highly rated coming out of high school of the four horse QB race for MSU.
14. Matt Stafford: Feeling good about Lions running, passing and blocking in week one win.
15. Calvin Johnson: Nobody happier about Reggie Bush’s week one performance than Megatron.
16. Jim Leyland: Almost has the Tigers back to the playoffs for a third straight season.
17. Brandon Pettigrew: Couldn’t have played a worse game in opener vs. Vikings.
18. Joseph Fauria: Undrafted tight end will have more chances against Cardinals in week two.
19. Max Scherzer: Stuck on 20 wins but still has inside track for AL Cy Young award.
20. Joaquin Benoit: 17-for-17 in save situations since having to take over the role as closer.
21. Drew Smyly: 71/15 strike outs/walks; 1.029 WHIP for Tigers dependable set-up man.
22. Riley Reiff: Good first start replacing Jeff Backus at left tackle handling the Vikings Jared Allen in opener.
23. Fitz Toussaint: Senior running back holding off true freshman Derrick Green while he can.
24. Jeremy Langford: Spartan running back taking over for Le’Veon Bell.
25. Jake Butt: Funny name for UM freshman tight end. Targeted by Devin Gardner a lot in ND victory.
Also receiving votes in past months:
Jimmy Howard, Bruce Rondon, Trey Burke, Gary Harris, Mike Babcock, Keith Appling, Tim Hardaway Jr., John Beilein, Dave Dombrowski, Adreian Payne, Mitch McGary, Nick Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Rick Porcello, Martin Mayhew, Ray McCallum, Pavel Datsyuk, Denzel Valentine, Nick Castellanos, Damien Brunner, Tomas Tatar, Glenn Robinson III, Nick Lidstrom, Nick Stauskas, Mike Ilitch, Lawrence Frank, Titus Young, Calvin Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Scott Linehan, Tom Gores, Gary Bettman, Scott Boras, Brandon Dawson, Greg Monroe, Derrick Green, Ken Holland, Gunther Cunningham, Dominic Raiola, Al Borges, Brady Hoke, Mark Dantonio, Kyle Singler, Torii Hunter, Jose Calderon, Joe Dumars, Jeff Backus, Denard Robinson, Andre Drummond, Jim Schwartz and Henrick Zetterberg.