DETROIT (WWJ) – A potentially deadly situation is averted after an apartment building in Detroit is evacuated because of a fire … And, as WWJ’s Mike Campbell tells us, this may be another case of someone smoking cigarettes while on an oxygen tank.
The fire was on the ninth floor in a unit at the Skyview Tower Apartments in Detroit.
Chief William Hall told WWJ that “… a civilian in the apartment said one of his sensor units on his oxygen sensing tank caught fire and set the mattress on fire.”
“He is being transported because he is suffering smoke inhalation and he also has pneumonia … right now the fire is still under investigation.”
The residents within the 22-story apartment building were evacuated temporarily due to the smoke.
No other injuries were reported.